Tuesday, January 21, 2014

That knob on Mort Drucker's lamp

David Apatoff on his blog Illustration Art.



Mort Drucker didn't like the way he drew this knob, so he painted it out and re-drew it.
The knob was located on the back of an electric lamp:




Over a chaotic surgical table:


In a crowded operating room:


Surrounded by even more bystanders-- from a vampire to a clergyman-- in a splash panel for MAD Magazine:


MAD reproduced Drucker's drawing small enough so that it's doubtful a single reader saw that damn knob. Yet, Drucker painted it out and did it all over again.

Charles Dickens wrote to his son,
I should never have made my success in life if I had been shy of taking pains, or if I had not bestowed upon the least thing I have ever undertaken exactly the same attention and care that I have bestowed upon the greatest.

No comments:

Post a Comment